The books below represent the very best in family law reading. We have carefully chosen the following books as helpful guides. All of them are rated very highly and are recommended reading.
And don’t miss out on our free family law and divorce eBooks.
While Undergoing Divorce
- What Every Woman Should Know about Divorce and Custody by Gayle Rosenwald Smith
- Getting Divorced Without Ruining Your Life by Sam Margulies – A reasoned, practical guide to the legal, emotional, and financial ins and outs of negotiating a divorce
- The Good Divorce by Constance Ahrons
- A Man’s Guide to a Civilized Divorce by Sam Margulies – How to divorce with grace, a little class, and a lot of common sense
- Divorce and Money – Everything You Need to Know by Gayle Rosenwald Smith
- Fathers’ Rights by Jeffery Leving, et al – Hard-hitting and fair advice for every father facing a child custody dispute
- Divorce & Money by Violet Woodhouse and Dale Fetherling – How to make the best financial decisions during divorce
Dealing with Life After Divorce
- Rebuilding – When Your Relationship Ends by Bruce Fisher and Robert E. Alberti
- Getting Up, Getting Over, Getting On by Micki McWade – A 12-step guide to divorce recovery
- The Unexpected Legacy of Divorce – The 25-Year Landmark Study by Julia M. Lewis and Sandra Blakeslee
- On Your Own Again by Keith Anderson and Roy MacSkimming
- For Better or For Worse – Divorce Reconsidered by E. Mavis Hetherington and John Kelly
- The Complete Guide to Protecting Your Financial Security When Getting a Divorce by Alan Feigenbaum, et al.
Divorce Books For Children
- My Family’s Changing: A First Look at Family Break-Up by Pat Thomas and Lesley Harker
- My Parents are Divorced Too: A Book for Kids by Kids by Jan Blackstone-Ford, et al.
- What in the World Do You Do When Your Parents Divorce? by Kent Winchester, et al – A Survival Guide for Kids
- Mama and Daddy Bear’s Divorce by Cornelia Maude Spelman and Kathy Parkinson
- Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary and Paul O. Zelinsky
- Two Homes by Claire Masurel and Kady MacDonald Denton
- Dinosaurs Divorce by Marc Brown and Laurie Krasny Brown
- I Don’t Want to Talk About it by Jeanie Franz Ransom and Kathryn Kunz Finney
- Help! A Girl’s Guide to Divorce and Stepfamilies by Nancy Holyoke and Scott Nash
- Divorce is Not the End of the World: Zoe and Evan’s Coping Guide for Kids by Zoe Stern, et al
- It’s Not Your Fault, Koko Bear by Vicki Lansky and Jane Prince
- How it Feels When Parents Divorce by Jill Krementz
- Don’t Fall Apart on Saturdays!: The Children’s Divorce Survival Book by Adolph Moser and David Melton
- The Divorce Helpbook for Teens by Cynthia MacGregor
Helping Children Through Divorce – For Parents
- Why Did You Have to Get a Divorce? And When Can I Get a Hamster?: A Parenting Guide Through Divorce by Anthony E. Wolf
- Helping Children Cope with Divorce by Edward Teyber
- Divorce Poison: Protecting the Parent-Child Bond from a Vindictive Ex by Richard A. Warshak
- Difficult Questions Kids Ask and Are Afraid to Ask About Divorce by Meg F. Schneider and Joan Zuckerberg
- The Co-Parenting Survival Guide: Letting Go of Conflict After a Difficult Divorce by Elizabeth Thayer Ph.D. and Jeffrey Zimmerman Ph.D.
- The Truth About Children and Divorce: Dealing with the Emotions So You and Your Children Can Thrive by Robert E. Emery Ph.D.
- The Courage to be a Single Mother: Becoming Whole Again After Divorce by Sheila Ellison
- Ex Etiquette: Good Behavior After a Divorce or Separation by Jann Blackstone-Ford and Sharyl Jupe
- What Children Need to Know When Parents Get Divorced by William L. Coleman
- Growing Up with Divorce: Helping Your Child Avoid Immediate and Later Emotional Problems by Neil Kalter
- Making Divorce Easier On Your Child: 50 Effective Ways to Help Children Adjust by Nicholas Long and Rex L. Forehand
- Mom’s House, Dad’s House: Making Two Homes for Your Child by Isolina Ricci
- Parenting After Divorce: A Guide to Resolving Conflicts and Meeting Your Children’s Needs by Philip Michael Stahl
- Joint Custody with a Jerk: Raising a Child with an Uncooperative Ex by Ross Corcoran