Yes. With spousal maintenance, the income tax obligation shifts from the obligor-payer to the obligee-recipient of the money. The obligor may deduct the money paid for spousal maintenance, or alimony, from his or her gross income. The spouse or former spouse receiving the support must include it as income on his or her tax return.